Universal Admin: UNIX Shell Access for JSP based web server from Browser
(Administer your UNIX/JSP site from anywhere)
Why Universal Admin-
If you are a web administrator, you have surely felt the need to access your server when
away from office, some time or the other. The only tool that can be assumed to be universally
available is the Web-browser -no telnet or FTP. Fortunately, if you happen to be using UNIX and JSP
as your server platform, Universal Admin is for you.
Sometimes, your web hosting package comes with only FTP access (in shared servers, for example).
You know you could really use a Shell prompt to do a lot of things faster. If you have
found yourself in this situation, consider Universal Admin.
Universal Admin Features-
- Gives you the shell (or a chosen program) prompt right within your browser.
- Allows you to upload files.
- Logon authentication
- You can configure any number of users and assign them different shells. For instance, you
can define a Database administrator who gets the Database prompt (SQL*plus or Mysql) directly.
Of course, you can use the /bin/sh for file management and process control. The file upload
feature can be individually enabled for each user.
- Displays stdout and stderr in different frames.
- Keeps command history.
Check it out for yourself. In this demonstration, you can log-on
as "guest" with password "guest". For obvious reasons, your shell is a harmless "cat -n" which throws
everything you type back at you after inserting a line number -But you get the idea.
- The shell and other programs run as the same UNIX user as the owner of the Java Server
on the host.
- Sometimes if the shell command's output is slow, the control may return without the whole
output. You should send an empty command to flush the output from the server.
- Commands that require tty input cannot be run.
- For File upload operations, the use of Jspsmartupload package is required (included in
Universal Admin zip).
Universal Admin is shareware. You are welcome to download and try it for free.
However, if you find it good enough to use it for any purpose -personal, commercial or
non-commercial, a nominal contribution of US$ 27.00 is expected.
In exchange for your contribution, I would entertain support requests from you.
Download Universal Admin
Email bug report or other communication to
Pay using PayPal. Payment Instructions.
Updated: October 2002.
Other Utilities from the same author.
Search for similar or other scripts-